BLACKFORD COUNTY SCHOOL BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING
MARCH 17, 2020 - 6:00 P.M.
HARTFORD CITY, IN 47348
I. The Blackford County Schools Board of Directors met in regular session on Tuesday, March 17, 2020 at Central Office. Those present included: Mr. Phil Jones, Mr. Troy Kaufman, Mr. Scott Malott, Mr. Chris Smith, uggins, HugginsandanDr. Kathryn Ludwig, Superintendent Chad Yencer, and Assistant Superintendent Greg Roach.
II. AUDIENCE INPUT ON AGENDA ITEMS
III. CONSENT AGENDA
A motion was made by Ludwig and seconded by Malott with a 5-0 vote to approve the Consent Agenda as presented.
- Amendments to the Agenda
- Minutes from the February 18, 2020 board meetings.
- Claims dated February 18, 2020 in the amount of $1,753,194.74
- Professional Leave Requests as presented:
1. Mr. Scott Shimer Indiana School Administrators Conf.
Mrs. Kelli Ruble June 14-15, 2020 Noblesville
Mrs. Karen Mealy
Mr. Todd Hill
Mrs. Valerie Janowski-Human
Mrs. Grace Shockey
2. Mrs. Sheryl Martin Foodservice Directors Meeting
March 10, 2020 Fort Wayne
3. Mrs. Meg Ellison K-12 Art PD Day
Mrs. Sydney Walter April 17, 2020 Hartford City E.
E. Grants and Donations
1. Sigma Phi Gamma Sorority $300 to BJSHS Academic Honors Program
2. Mr. Vincent and Mrs. Anna Cimino $200 to BJSHS Academic Honors Program
3. Mr. Harry Pearson $250 to BJSHS Academic Honors Program
4. Via Credit Union $100 to BJSHS Academic Honors Program
5. Montpelier Tri-Kappa/Mrs. Trudy Glancy $100 to BJSHS Academic Honors Program
6. Indiana Farm Bureau $100 to BJSHS Academic Honors Program
7. Robert Nugent & Associates $100 to BJSHS Academic Honors Program
8. Langdon Brothers Seed $100 to BJSHS Academic Honors Program
9. Citizens State Bank $266 to BJSHS Academic Honors Program
10. Mr. Mark Townsend $100 to BJSHS Academic Honors Program
11. Mr. Tim and Mrs. Linda Wallace $100 to BJSHS Academic Honors Program
12. Montpelier American Legion $100 to BJSHS Academic Honors Program
13. Blackford Federation of Teachers $100 to BJSHS Academic Honors Program
14. IU Health Blackford $300 to BJSHS Academic Honor Awards Program
15. Eye Associates Group $100 to BJSHS Academic Honor Awards Program
16. Hartford City Tri-Kappa/Mrs. Carol Hunt $100 to BJSHS Academic Honor Awards Program
17. Xi Iota Xi/Mrs. Sherri Clamme $50 to BJSHS Academic Honor Awards Program
18. Mr. Rollin Brown $70 to BJSHS Academic Honor Awards Program
19. City of Hartford City $501 to BJSHS HOSA Salad Bar
20. Blackford County Health Dept. $500 to BJSHS HOSA Salad Bar
21. Heartland Bible Chapel $50 to BJSHS HOSA Salad Bar
22. City of Montpelier $500 to BJSHS HOSA Salad Bar
23. Deacons of First Presbyterian Church $616 to BJSHS Athletics program
24. Mr. Keith Lanham $1000 to BJSHS Junior High Softball program
25. Blackford Softball, Inc. $728.47 to BJSHS Junior High Softball program
26. Dawson Investments $583.35 to Northside - outstanding lunch balances
27. Xi Iota Xi $500 to BJSHS Art Club
$500 to BJSHS Band
$500 to BJSHS Choir
$500 to Northside for Drama program
28. 3-M $5000 for BJSHS River Watch program
29. Smith Consulting $100 to BCS Robotics program
- Transfer of Funds
Approved the Transfer of $250,000 from Education Fund to the Operations Fund as presented.
IV. ITEMS REMOVED FROM CONSENT AGENDA
No items were removed from the Consent Agenda
V. ACTION ITEMS
- Consideration of Personnel Items
- Mrs. Gayle Herrin Secretary at Southside School
A motion was made by Kaufman and seconded by Smith with a 5-0 vote to approve the following personnel items:
- Ms. Madison Townsend 2nd shift custodian at Northside School
- Ms. Deborah Weatherholt Instructional assistant at Northside School
- Ms. Holly Caldwell Cross Country coach at BJSHS
Leave of Absence
1. Mrs. Heidi Dudelston Instructional Assistant at Northside – Effective 8-5-2020
B Consideration of Certified Teaching Contract
A motion was made by Malott and seconded by Smith with a 5-0 vote to cancel the certified teaching contract of Ms. Rhonda Meinhardt as recommended.
C. Consideration of Blackford Intermediate School Bathroom Bid
A motion was made by Ludwig and seconded by Smith with a 5-0 vote to award the bid of renovating the Blackford Intermediate Schools to Muhlenkamp Building Corporation for $66,480.
D. Consideration of BJSHS Band Room update
A motion was made by Kaufman and seconded by Smith with a 5-0 vote to approve an equipment purchase from Educational Furniture LTD for $36,161.83 to update the band room at BJSHS.
E. Consideration of CEP Lunch Program
A motion was made by Malott and seconded by Ludwig with a 5-0 vote to approve the CEP Lunch program as presented.
F. Consideration of Resolution to Continue Pay through Leave
A motion was made by Ludwig and seconded by Kaufman with a 5-0 vote to approve the Resolution to continue paying BCS employees through the leave.
A. Covid-19 preparedness/planning
- Staff quickly pivoting to Blended Learning model with 6 days of instruction planned so far – unsure of sustainability
- Student families are being directly contacted by phone
- Grab and Go lunches will be distributed beginning March 30 at Northside and Montpelier Schools
- Will likely deliver computers to home where needed
- IDOE granted 20 waiver days – four have been implemented so far
- Keep momentum of learning with staff and students
- Maximize the use of waiver days
- Weekly Professional Development planned
- Understand the situation continues to develop
- Future E-Learning in BCS will not look like what is currently underway
VII. PUBLIC COMMENTS
- Heard from Mrs. Sheri McDonald, BFT president, who extended thanks to Mr. Yencer, Mr. Roach, and the entire administrative team for their communication, leadership, and support of teachers.
VIII. SUPERINTENDENT COMMENTS
- Noted a change to the 20-21 BCS District Calendar – Good Friday - April 2, 2021.
- Learned that the Blackford Economic Development Corp approved their part in Early Childhood Coalition. They are still awaiting word regarding the Blackford County Community Foundation’s participation in the coalition.
IX. BOARD COMMENTS
- Thanked the entire staff for their hard work in staying in front of the many changes that have taken place.
- Mr. Malott requested a board meeting prior to the April 21 regular meeting. By consensus, the board agreed to meet on April 1, 2020 at 6 p.m. Prior to the Special Meeting at 5 p.m., there will be an Executive Session to discuss the topic of Personnel.
With no further business to come before the board, Mr. Jones adjourned the meeting.
These minutes were approved on_______________________________________ by:
Mr. Phil Jones, President Dr. Kathryn Ludwig, Board Secretary