Frequently Asked Questions
We’ve answered some of the most common questions we hear about our school and its policies. For more information about our policies, please review our student handbook located in the Parents Quick Links section on the Home page or contact our office. We’re always happy to help!
- What is the dress code for Blackford Intermediate School?
- What is the earliest time that I can drop my child off at school?
- Are students allowed to carry a backpack?
- When is a child considered tardy?
- How can I find out if my child is eligible for the free lunch program?
- What about school book rental fees?
- What if a textbook is lost?
- What if my child is a victim of bullying?
- Where can I find information about the bus schedule?
- Can my child use a cell phone at school?
What is the dress code for Blackford Intermediate School?
We expect our students to dress in a way that shows respect for themselves, for others, and for their school. We do not permit students to wear any clothing that distracts from the learning experience. Specifically, we do not allow:
- Jackets, coats, hats, bandanas, hoods, or sunglasses in the school building, unless associated with a school purpose
- Clothing that exposes undergarments
- Clothing with drug/alcohol advertisements
- Bare shoulders or midriffs, halter tops, strapless dresses, spaghetti straps, pajama pants or tops, clothing that is torn or has holes in it
- Clothing with sexually implied messages or connotations
- Clothing, symbols, or insignias that could be construed as gang related, such as handkerchiefs, flags, chains, or bandanas
What is the earliest time that I can drop my child off at school?
We provide supervisory duty beginning at 7:35 a.m. For the safety of your child, we ask that students do not enter campus property before that time.
Are students allowed to carry a backpack?
No. We do not allow backpacks unless approved by the teacher.
When is a child considered tardy?
School begins at 8:00 a.m. We consider any student arriving after that time as tardy.
How can I find out if my child is eligible for the free lunch program?
Please complete the application for the free and reduced lunch program found on our district Food Services page. We will also send home a packet including this form on the first day of school. Upon receipt of your application, we will notify families of eligibility within a week. We accept applications throughout the school year should your family circumstances change.
What about school book rental fees?
We charge nominal book rental fees. Please look for rate information sent home on the first day of school or call our office for details. If your family needs financial assistance, fill out and return the financial aid application. If you are paying the rental fees, we require payment by the end of the first week of school.
What if a textbook is lost?
We charge full replacement cost for a lost textbooks.
What if my child is a victim of bullying?
We take bullying very seriously. Please do not hesitate to contact the school and share your concerns. We want your child to feel safe and will take appropriate action to ensure a harassment free and safe learning environment.
Where can I find information about the bus schedule?
Visit our district Transportation page for bus schedules and other important information about our bus riding privileges.
Can my child use a cell phone at school?
Yes, we allow cell phones at school; however, we require students to adhere to the following rules and guidelines:
- Cell phones can only be used during class time while under the direction of the teacher.
- Personal use is only allowed during recess, lunch time, or between classes (with teacher permission).
- We reserve the right to revoke cell phone privileges in cases of consistent violations.
- Blackford Intermediate School and Blackford County Schools is not responsible for lost, damaged, or stolen electronic devices.